The Director of the Greater Accra Regional Hospital (GARH), Dr Emmanuel Srofenyo has said a team of 166 local and international specialists are collaborating to facilitate the surgery to separate the conjoined twins first week in September 2021.
“From the technical people, we have been given the recognition that the surgeries must start from the first week in September 2021. The surgeries will start from the first week in September with the initial stages as we said earlier on, the surgeries are going to be in several stages, the first is to prepare the skin and expand the skin so that eventually when the twins are separated they could be a redundant skin that can then be used to close up where the gaps are”. Dr Srofenyo said
Providing explanations to why the surgeries have been delayed since the news of the conjoined twins, Dr Srofenyo said “the fact of the matter is that in handling critical cases like conjoined twins, there is a specific time the surgery should be performed, the experts have told us the surgeries are best performed from between four months up to a year after delivery so we are not in a great hurry for the surgeries to be performed because we are waiting for the optimal opportunity for the surgery to perform”.
The Minister of Health, Mr Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, has assured that everything is on course to facilitate the surgery to separate the conjoined twins bonded at the head.
He said the government had made available funds needed to start the procurement of equipment and commodities needed for the surgery as promised by President Akufo-Addo.
The minister for health, Mr Kwaku Agyemang-Manu made this known when he joined the New Africa Foundation to present a rented five-bedroom house to the family of the conjoined twins to enable them to move from Nsawam to Accra to pursue medical care for the twins. The house has been rented for two years.
The Greater Accra Regional Director of Health Services, Dr Mrs Charity Sarpong, describing the delivery of the first-ever conjoined twins in the head at the Nsawam on March 30, 2021, and how they were transferred to the Greater Accra Regional Hospital immediately for the necessary medical interventions that would lead to their separation said: “We hope to see a very successful operation”.
She said since March 2020 till date, the technical team made up of specialists pooled from all over the country had been collaborating with international medical specialists outside the country in preparation for the separation.
Source: Republic Press