Everton has appointed Rafael Benitez as their new manager on a three-year deal.
Former Liverpool boss Benitez, 61, becomes Carlo Ancelotti’s successor at Goodison Park after the Italian resigned from his post to return to Real Madrid on June 1.
Everton said in a club statement the Spaniard’s appointment followed “a robust and wide-reaching recruitment process” over the last three weeks, which saw “multiple interviews with several candidates”.
“I am delighted to be joining Everton,” Benitez said. “Throughout this process, I have been greatly impressed by the ambition shown by the senior representatives at the club and their desire to bring success to this historic club.
“I believe this is a club that is going places. I’m determined to play a big part in helping this great club achieve its ambitions.”
Our new manager. pic.twitter.com/1FulLthzyF
— Everton (@Everton) June 30, 2021
Since leaving Liverpool in 2010, Benitez has managed Inter Milan, Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastle, and most recently Chinese Super League side Dalian Professional.
Benitez has received a mixed reaction from the Everton fanbase after news emerged earlier in June he had become the club’s leading target.
A threatening banner seemingly aimed at Benitez, reading “we know where you live, don’t sign”, was placed near his Wirral home on Monday, leading to a Merseyside Police investigation.
Everton held talks with former Wolves head coach Nuno Espirito Santo and also had an interest in their former manager David Moyes.
Belgium boss Roberto Martinez – another ex-Toffees manager, Lille’s Ligue 1 title-winning coach Christophe Galtier and Eddie Howe were also understood to be on their shortlist.