Soldiers who fired live bullets to disperse crowd ‘unprofessional’ – Kontihene of Ejura

The Kontihene of Ejura, Odiasempa Antwi Obugyei II, says the methods employed by the military personnel to disperse the crowd that had gathered in protest, following the burial of the late Ibrahim Mohammed, were extreme and unprofessional.

Two persons lost their lives and four others sustained injuries after some residents clashed with the security officers at Ejura on Tuesday.

The residents are reported to have pelted stones at the officers who had been deployed to the area during the burial of the late social activist, Ibrahim Muhammed.

The military responded by firing live bullets into the crowd, leading to the two deaths.

In an interview, the Kontihene of Ejura said the government must institute an investigation into the clash and the deaths recorded as a result.

According to him, they want justice for the lost lives.

“…Behind the police vehicle, there was this army vehicle that was also coming and the youth were pelting them with stones. I believe that provoked them to also open fire. It was unfortunate but I think they could have used rubber bullets to disperse them or better still, fired warning shots. But they fired live bullets into a group of people and it was not professional.”



A social activist, Ibrahim Muhammed died on Monday, June 28, 2021, after he was attacked by a mob when he was returning home on his motorbike on Sunday.

He’s alleged to have been killed because of his social activism, which some felt was making the government unpopular.

The 45-year-old was noted to be vocal on both local and national issues using his Facebook page.

His family says he had faced threats over his activism before the attack.

He was rushed to the Ejura Government Hospital and later referred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, where he died at midday on June 28.

Police in the Ashanti Region has since arrested two persons in connection with his death.

Ibrahim Muhammed’s death sparked protests in Ejura and outrage online.

He was buried on Tuesday, June 29, 2021.

After the burial, some residents of Ejura and security personnel clashed, which led to the death of two persons.

The two were among six persons who were shot during the clash and taken to the Ejura Government Hospital.

The clash occurred when some residents pelted stones at the security personnel who were deployed around the burial grounds of the late social activist.

“One died on the spot before he was brought to the hospital, so we just confirmed the death. One other died 10 minutes after resuscitation,” Dr Mensah Manye, the Medical Superintendent Ejura Government Hospital said.

Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Police Command has said it has commenced investigations into the circumstances that led to the incident between security personnel and some Ejura residents.















Source: citinewsroom

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button